John Romeo is Oliver Wyman’s Managing Partner for North America. Prior to this role, John founded the Corporate Finance and Advisory practice and continues to lead the firm's relationships with financial sponsors. John also sits on the board of MMC Securities Limited, the specialized investment banking arm of Marsh & McLennan Companies. John has over 20 years of consulting experience advising the boards and senior executives of the world’s leading financial services institutions on top level corporate strategy, M&A/deal structuring, risk and restructuring issues. Previously John led the firm’s market infrastructure business and continues to be active in advising senior management of exchanges, post trade providers, data/information vendors and technology firms.
Recent experience includes:
· Advised on evaluation (commercial diligence, risk management processes, asset base, capital and funding issues, technology and operations) and deal structuring of substantial M&A situations across banking, insurance and balance sheet light businesses
· Led negotiations on principal investments in financial services and asset backed joint ventures between corporates and investors
· Advised leading financial institutions on the sale of non-core assets and restructuring reviews
· Financial asset acquisition and disposal assessments of non-performing loans across a variety of asset classes including commercial real estate, shipping and consumer debt
· Provided independent assessment to banks on proposed regulatory capital relief transactions
· Business strategy for private equity funds including risk management approach, operations and IT, regulatory and reporting requirements and organizational structure
John has a special interest in and focus on inclusion. He is Chairman of the firm’s Inclusion and Diversity Council, co-authored Oliver Wyman’s “Women in Financial Services” Report, and is a proud ally and champion for LGBT issues. John has a Master’s degree in Economics from Cambridge University where he was a Senior Scholar.